[Fwd: Fwd: invitation /etc 2003]

Andraz Tori Andraz.tori1 at guest.arnes.si
Wed Mar 26 22:30:49 CET 2003

ena stvar, zanimiva predvsem za dekleta & punce & zene linuxacice...

-----Posredovano sporočilo-----

From: ana.pavlisic at kiss.uni-lj.si

---
thats our invitation 8) :

                        /ECLECTIC TECH CARNIVAL

                Athens, Greece June 30th - July 6th 2003.
        A seven day and night carnival of exchanging computer related
skills.
                        By women for women.

                        http://etc.genderchangers.org

Calling all women tech-heads, indymedia sistas, geeks, programmers,
designers, video activists, radio stars, coders and more to participate in
the second /Eclectic Tech Carnival (abbrev. /etc), in Athens.
After the first /etc 2002 in Pula, Croatia, this year we move to Athens.

Always wanted to learn more about how computers and tech stuff work? Love
playing with these bits and pieces and want to meet other women who do to?
/etc is the place to be this summer!

We only use Open Source products. Basically this means that the code that
makes up software or applications is not kept secret and is free for
anybody.
It will be okay to break things.
It will be exhausting.
There will be communication barriers, but we intend to challenge them!

TOPICS INCLUDE

Beginners course "computer basic concepts and fundamental terms"
PC hardware, how computers work -- get your hands into computers
Intro to the BIOS while installing a new hard drive
Using linux for beginners -- find out how to work with a linux box
Networking  -- how to build your home network, chat, ssh, email ...
Linux-install-party -- bring your computer with you
Encryption and privacy with pgp
Scripting language: perl, shell script
Open publishing
\LaTeX (word processing) -- document layout without viruses
Open discussions about gender and technology issues

We hope to see you there!

ORGANIZATION AND REGISTRATION

Free registration per email (reg at etc.genderchangers.org) or on
http://etc.genderchangers.org.
For participation we ask for 3.5 Eco (about 3 Euro) per day --
calculate the exact amount using http://www.eyfa.org/ecoratescurrent.htm .
Women who cannot pay are not excluded!
Accomodation (bring a sleeping bag with you) is for free and
Joining our meals (breakfast and some cooking) is about 5 Euro per day.

We will try to run child care for kids during our workshops.
The location is not prepared for wheel-chairs, but we are willing to give
assistance.
If you need child care, assistance or ... -- please tell us in advance!
In case you need to apply for funding for your own travel costs and
participation
and you need a letter of recommendation from us:  send an email
(info at etc.genderchangers.org) with a short motivation text.

/etc is being organised by volunteers from Genderchangers, Amsterdam,
the /etc-greece group, Athens, zene na delu, Belgrade and Mama, Zagreb.
Donations towards costs are of course, always welcome!!

--

----- Konec preusmerjenega sporočila -----