[ LUGOS ] FW: Linux and Roxen

Iztok Umek iztok na si-con.com
Pon Jun 19 10:55:59 CEST 2000

Nekdo je spraseval o omejevanju prometa z Roxen.

Tukaj je malce podrobnosti.

LP,
	Iztok

-----Original Message-----
From: Francesco Chemolli [mailto:kinkie na mika.elet.polimi.it]
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 5:38 AM
To: Xavier Beaudouin
Cc: Ian Carr-de Avelon; roxen-alpha na roxen.com
Subject: Re: Linux and Roxen

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Xavier Beaudouin wrote:

> > Tssk tssk. Look harder. Roxen offers (unique AFAIK) "bandwidth
throttling"
> > (soon to be renamed "bandwidth control") features. You can assign a
> > request a bandwidth, and then change it by type, size, hour of the day,
> > user, client hostname, client IP, and more. Most of the policy modules
are
> > written for Roxen 2.1, but you shouldbe able to safely use them with 2.0
> > too.
>

> Did you tried it ?

I have written it >:)

> I am the maintener of home pages for my Company (Isdnet !) and one our
> client has asked to limit bandwith per ip... (the client is
> ... libertysurf !), I was thinking to go to 2.0, but I didn't had the time
> to master it since 2.0 has been openned to alpha testers... And bandwith
> limiters are really interessting for us :)

You can limit the bandwidth per virtual server, and then juggle with the
bandwidth for each request. Per-process limits have beeen talked about,
and distributed limits might be available when the new distributed caching
system I'm working on takes off (stress put on _might_).
It hasn't been tested on busy servers that I know of. Would you be willing
to experiment? It could be interesting..
Be aware though that performance is going to take a hit if you're using
bandwidth throttling (almost to roxen/1.2 levels) because then I/O would
be done in pike (as opposed to C). Also, expect your RAM usage to
increase, especially if you're serving large files (the subsystem is
somewhat unoptimized, memory pressure systems have been in the talks but
were never implemented).

> The amount of bandwith is really hudge and is it limited by our F5
> Bigip... We are in the process to go to use Extreme Load bancer since
> Bigip seems to drop packets when going about 150/170MB of bandwith :-(

Interesting indeed. <grin>

--
  Kinkie
   primary e-mail: kinkie na kame.usr.dsi.unimi.it

[random fortune]
QOTD:
	"I've got one last thing to say before I go; give me back
	all of my stuff."

Dodatne informacije o seznamu Starilist