[ LUGOS ] Fwd: Here is something about PowerDVD Linux

mitja.pavlovic na guest.arnes.si mitja.pavlovic na guest.arnes.si
Pon Dec 11 19:49:26 CET 2000

Upam, da ni tekst predolg.

Dear Mitja,

Sorry for reply so late because of my business trip to Germany.

Here's some Q&A about PowerDVD Linux:

General Questions:

1.Who needs PowerDVD Linux?
A:Currently, PowerDVD Linux is targeting those IA(Information Appliance, such
as Set-top Boxes)
  developers as an embedded software DVD playback solution.
  CyberLink is also looking forward to integrating PowerDVD Linux into various
Linux distributions.
  The time frame will be early next year.

2.Is there any trial version available for individual users?
A:Trial version is not yet available for end users right now. Please check back
CyberLink web site
  constantly and we'll publish related news once it is available.

3.Do you have PowerDVD Linux retail version for we Linuxers?
A:Not yet. Due to the variety of different audio and video hardware devices among
systems , there are
  still many details we have to work out. For example, device manufacturer such
as NVIDIA has not
  released their display drivers with Overlay support for Linux yet. That is
why CyberLink can not
  release the retail version right now. We think it is not responsible to release
any product until
  we can ensure the functionality, general compatibility and program stability
when running our software.

Advanced Questions:

1.What's the system requirement to run PowerDVD Linux on my PC?
A:
  [CPU]
  Celeron 366 or above is recommended

  [Linux Kernel]
  Please make sure that the kernel version is 2.2.16 or above. (We use RedHat
as testing platform)

  [XFree86]
  Please go to http://www.xfree86.org/ to download the latest version.Please
use XFree86 3.3.6 or above.

  [Video]
  Please make sure your system have SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) library installed.
Please go to
  http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.1.html to download the latest version of library.
Please use version
  1.1.3 or above.

  [Audio]
  Please make sure your system have OSS compatible sound card driver installed.
For those sound cards not
  supported by OSS/Lite (included in Linux Kernel), please go to http://www.opensound.com/
to download
  (actually you have to pay) OSS driver or go to http://www.alsa-project.org/
to download a free-of-charge
  ALSA driver which is OSS compatible.

2.For the audio part, do I have Multi-channel or S/PDIF supported by PowerDVD
Linux?
A:Basically we are using the open standard drivers to implement the audio functions.
Since Multi-channel
  and S/PDIF are not supported by drivers available, we do not have Multi-channel
and S/PDIF on PowerDVD
  Linux on this stage.

3.Does PowerDVD Linux support Hardware Video Accelerators?
A:The drivers of video cards are not well-supported so that some capabilities
of your video cards would
  not function perfectly so far. Some cards, such as Matrox's G200 and G400,
already have Overlay supported
  now, while many others don't. It might take time to have all features supported
because it requires highly
  cooperation among different fields.

4.Will CyberLink make the source codes open since it's on Linux?
A:Basically, PowerDVD Linux is aimed at commercial Linux market so there will
be no source codes released.
  Besides, patent issues also prevent us to do so.

If you have any further question or interest about PowerDVD Linux, please feel
free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey_Cheng
PM Engineer
E-mail:Jeffrey_Cheng na cyberlink.com.tw
Phone: +886-2-8667-1298, ext. 319

CyberLink Corporation  http://www.gocyberlink.com/
Revolutionizing Video & Audio Solutions for the Digital World

Dodatne informacije o seznamu Starilist