[ LUGOS ] informix & Linux

Mitja Zabukovec mitja.zabukovec na mais.si
Sre Dec 6 17:57:15 CET 2000

Živjo,

tole sprašuje kolega iz informix liste:

At risk of being flamed as an RTFM or SIOYA, and confessing to
not knowing a great deal about Linux coming from an RS/6000 AIX
background, I got back from leave today to find an unexpected
corporate re-think.

I am told that a task that was being aimed at a:
4 processor RS/6000, AIX, Informix IDS 7.31 client-server, 1 Gb
memory, 75 Gb (with probable expansion to 5 times that)
database, 30 users

is now being aimed at a:
Dell PowerEdge pentium 3, Informix IDS, Linux Red Hat...

Immediate questions in my head (other than 'please can I go back
on leave'):

1) Is this remotely viable on a PC under Linux?
2) How big can Linux handle? I know akin to 'how long is a piece of
string?' But is an application of 30 users into a 300 Gb database
relatively small, medium or approaching limits for a PC based Linux
system?
3) Any ideas of real application sizes of Informix on Linux
successfully in the real world?
4) Any particularly nasty holes/experiences I need to watch out for?

Lahko kdo kaj pove na to temo ?

lp,
Mitja

Dodatne informacije o seznamu Starilist