[ LUGOS ] RAM ali CPU

Bostjan Vlaovic bostjan.vlaovic na uni-mb.si
Tor Apr 20 09:43:35 CEST 1999

Zdravo!

Malo sem pobrskal po netu in nasel sledece:

No, no, and NO! If you want to test your RAM, you can't run some test that
is CPU power limited. You'll never access your RAM here faster than the
CPU
can compile the kernel, and I got news for people out there. There ain't
no
CPU yet that compiles a kernel faster than your RAM can read/write those
source code and object code pages. This is a good CPU test, not a good RAM
test. If your RAM fails during this test with Sig11's or whatever, then it
really wasn't marginal to begin with. I know I've posted this test to the
list before, but without someone posting a better test, I still claim that
your best memory tester that exists is this script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /tmp
tar xzf linux-2.1.123.tar.gz
mv linux linux.save
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
do
tar xzf linux-2.1.123.tar.gz
diff -U 3 -rN linux.save linux
done

If that script spews anything to the screen, you've failed your memory
test. The only exception to this is if your disk sub-system doesn't use
DMA, then this test is not as good as it could be, but if your system uses
DMA (such as a decent SCSI controller, or DMA IDE) then this test will
show
bad RAM much faster and more reliably than compiling a kernel.

Jaz uporabljam Adaptec-ov SCSI AHA2940W.

Skripto sem malo prilagodil in dobil:
[root na ferdo guest]#~/testRAM.bin > ~/testRAM.log
[root na ferdo guest]#

[root na ferdo guest]# cat ~/testRAM.log
[root na ferdo guest]#

Predvidevam torej da je pregrevanje CPU. Vas obvestim o rezultatih.

Se ena misel na to temo:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 04:25:28PM -0400, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
> > Anyone know of a utility to extensively test a system's ram, in order
> > determine whether the ram has any faults?
>
> There are numerous programs that do that, but none of them really work.
> The only way to know for sure is to use a hardware memory tester. Any
> store that sells a lot of RAM will have one, and they may test your
memory
> for you (if it may result in a sale)...
>
> Debian has at least two relatively useless tools. One is memtest86 in
> hwtools, and the other is memtest in sysutils. Both failed to detect
> marginal memory in my system. I've had similar problems with DOS-based
> diagnostic programs.

On the other hand, if you have parity memory, thee programs may be all
that's necessary to trigger a parity error if you
do have a bad SIMM...

LP,
	bobo

| Bostjan Vlaovic            | Student of Elect. Eng.         |
| Na zelenici 9              | http://imola.uni-mb.si/~bobo   |
| 3000 Celje, Slovenia       | Tel.: ++386 41 769-386         |

Dodatne informacije o seznamu Starilist