[ LUGOS ] aja

Matija Grabnar matija.grabnar na k2.net
Tor Maj 13 09:45:46 CEST 1997

Seveda sem pozabil pripeti prej omenjeni sporocili.
Se oproscam...
--
"My name is Not Important. Not to friends.
    But you can call me mr. Important"  - Not J. Important
Matija.Grabnar na k2.net, webmaster na k2.net      A Slovenian and an Atarian
K2.net, Resljeva 1, Ljubljana           K2.net - our name is our domain

>From - Tue May 13 07:56:30 1997
From: James Mohr <jimmo na blitz.net>
To: "linux-admin na vger.rutgers.edu" <linux-admin na vger.rutgers.edu>
Subject: RE: Linux/NT comparison
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 11:57:37 +-200
Sender: owner-linux-admin na vger.rutgers.edu

Hi Peter!

This list is incomplete and somewhat disorganized. However, there are some
important issues involved. The best comparison between Linux and NT is like
between a meal cooked by a Cordon Bleu chef and a TV dinner. The chef will
cook it the way you like it, give you a wide range of choices and he is genuinely
concerned that you like what he prepare. Any idiot can toss a TV dinner into
the oven. The choice of meals is limited and the response is "If you don't like it,
try something else." Plus the Cordon Blue chef cooks according to standards
that other chefs can follow. The TV dinner is created just so that it looks good
in the package and people will buy it. Whatever is inside is anybody's guess.

However, the price of the two are reveresed. You get a Cordon Blue OS for the
price of a TV dinner.

All comments, complaints, additions, etc are very welcome.

Regards,

jimmo

ALL OF THESE ISSUES ASSUME A BASE SYSTEM WITH NO EXTRA
PRODUCTS  INSTALLED UNLESS SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED.

The biggest thing we have encounted is configarability. Let's forget for  the
moment that Linux provides you the source code. Have you ever tried  to
find something in the NT registry let alone change it? Volumes have  been
written on how to work with this and it is still very complicated.  Add to the
fact that one screw up and your system won't even boot. With  UNIX the
majority of the configuration files are all text files and  straight forward to
change. Plus you don't have to reboot every time  you do something as
basic as adding a new TCP/IP address or changing a route.  Linux even
allows you to add drivers to the running kernel.

Plus you *do* have the source code for Linux. I have a ethernet card, ISDN
card  and multi-port board that all wanted the same IRQ. In about ten
minutes I had the  machine running with  all of these cards. (It took me that
long to find the right entry  in the source.) However, I could have handed off
the parameters to LILO every time  I booted. You can't change the parameters
on the fly like that with NT. Also try installing NT where directories are spread
out across multiple drives.

Unfortunately, we do not have any apps that run on both platforms, so I
don't have specific numbers on performance. However, the human
peformance is  significantly less on an NT machine as we have to wade
through all of the GUI  interfaces. There is no character mode
administration. There are a few tools if you  have bought(!!!) the resource
kit, but we have found them to be very cumbesome at  best. In order to do
remote administration across a phone lin, you need to have  remote access
(RAS) installed. You cannot simply use just any old terminal  program as
you can with UNIX.

We have several hundred users in an NT domain connecting from WFWG and
NTWS. This domain consists of eight physical locations, with seven backup domain
controllers and is connected with six other domains, spread out around  the world.
We have to reboot the server at least once a week because either the logon server
gets confused and you can no longer make new connections or the master browser
get confused and you can no longer look for particular machine names in any domain.
Microsoft support says it's a hardware problem (no valid reason) and the hardware
vendor says its a OS problem. The kicker is that we run exclusively on DEC
equipment and if any two vendors are closely tied it has to be MS and DEC. The
Server CD even has a DEC logo on it, so you would expect them to work together.

UNIX will run on more than twice as many platforms as NT. If you want a
particular  configuration, you can get it. Real-time is also possible. Even if
you have a 286, you  can run UNIX. (Okay, XENIX). SCO even has a product
that provides B1 security.

Although there are a few minor differences, it is easier to go between
different versions  of UNIX than from Windows 3.11 to 95 or NT 3.51 to 4.0.

Basic concept in Windows is that Microsoft tells you what is best for you.
Configuration  is limited to what the designers think is best.

NT provides very limited tools to enhance your system. No developement
tools like Linux. Have you ever tried to create a complex BAT script?

Case: We converted an application from VAX to NT so that all of our
technical applications  would be on the same platform. However, VAX has
version numbers in their file names that  confused NT. We copied
thousands of files onto our UNIX machine, I wrote a script in about  5
minutes to strip off the version number. So what if this is a function of the
shell, sed or  whatever. These tools are an intergral part of UNIX and
nothing comes close on the NT side.

Converting Web pages so that the names do not get scrambled. Search for
all files anywhere  on the system that end in .html and convert them to .htm
for the Windows weanies. Not on  the NT machine. Have to do it from UNIX.

Kernel Parameters: NT has three settings for "performance" (local apps,
mixed, network).  Even without the source code, many (most?) UNIX
dialects allow you to change the  bevhavior to suite your needs.

Bug fixes. NT: Maybe in the next release. Not the one that is currently being
worked on, but the one  after that. Maybe. Linux: Depending on scope with a
week, I have seen then the *same day*.

Support: NT: Pay through the nose and other parts of your anatomy. Linux:
Thousands of people providing it world-wide for *free*. Downside isn that in
an  emergency you cannot get effective help this way. However, the number
of consultants world  wide is approaching 200 and the larger Linux vendors
also provide support.

The GUI on NT is a real memory hog. Look at the recommended memory
requirements even  before you add your first users. The suggestion in 24-32
MB. Linux will handle it with half that  if it is not running X.

NT is designed as a file and print server. Despite the fact that certain
applications  (particularly databases) run "on behalf" of a user, it is *not* a
multi-user system. Helen Custer  even says this in her Microsoft Press book
Inside Windows NT.  If you have 10 people running an application on 10
Windows PC, there are 10 copies of it in  memory (one per PC). If a similar
app is running on a UNIX machine and users are  accessing via X, there will
only be one copy in memory. The UNIX memory management will  keep
track of the text segment/region so that it is shared among all the users.
This means  less total memory for the system. In addition, non-NT machines
must load the entire program  into memory (not counting DLLs), whereas
UNIX just brings in what is needed. This means  the total memory
requirements for the system is even less.

 Having to do everything through the GUI has cost us days of work. Creating
a user on NT  takes serveral minutes. On most UNIX machines this can be
done from a script. I have take  a list of dozens on users on Linux, SCO,
and Digital UNIX and had them all created with  home directories and the
right groups in about three minutes. Okay, writing the script to do  that took
me about 10 minutes. However, once the script was done, I could keep
using it.

We have branch offices all over the world. Sometimes the office has an
existing computer  network (usually NT server and WFWG or Win95
workstations). When we finally connect  them to our global network, we
have to reinstall the server. Why: You cannot configure the server as a
backup domain controller (BDC) without it being able to  access the primary
domain controller (PDC). Once the server is configured as a primary, you
cannot intergrate it into an existing domain. Each security object has an ID
the is dependant  on it's domain. Therefore, the domain cannot be "merge"
with another. This means that all of the users need to be re-created and the
permissions on *all* of the files  and directories needs to be set by hand.
See below.

We made the mistake of rotating our backups every week in some of our
offices. That is, we  only had five tapes. We discovered that although NT
Backup and the Event Viewer reported  all was well, it wasn't. The system
crashed and we had to reinstall. We then discovered that  the tape was
unreadable. However, it worked fine when we installed originally. Since our
data  was on another drive, it was untouched, but not well. All the
permissions we based on the  original installation. Although, we could re-
create the users, the permissions on the files and  directories no longer
valid. As far as NT was concerned. These were different systems.
Therefore, once again, we had to re-create the permissions by hand. See
below.

Case: Find all files on a system with a particular owner. Now change the
owner to someone  else. (A new secretary takes over in our office in Dublin
and we need to give her access to  the same files as the previous
secretary.) However, not the accounting files, just the word  processing files.
Also when we "merge" domains"

CASE: All files in a directory and many levels of sub-directories are
readable by the IT  department, but read-writeable by IT-documentation
(ITDOC). Change all files (not  directories) in a particular sub-tree so that
one additional user now has write access. Making  them a member of the
group ITDOC doesn't work as you do not want to give them access all  over,
just one sub-tree.

We have 600+ users world wide. How many users are there exactly? How
many groups? To  find out in UNIX a couple of minutes. NT: Count them by
hand!

We have two machines as our CDROM server. Why two? NT can only
handle up to 23  additional drives. (A:, B: and C: at a minimum are already
taken).

I have an application that I want to have the window border red, the menus
white on black  and the background blue. But only this one applications. I
have other applications that I want  to have different colors schemes to
make them easier to find on the desktop. X can do it.

We have discovered that someone has a broken into our network. On just a
single machine,  how long will it take to check 5 groups to see if there are
any additional users added? (Such  as the admistrators group) UNIX 5
seconds. NT 5 minutes. (per machines)

Find all .tmp, .bak, .sav files on the system and compress them. (But only if
they are more  than a week old.) No way on NT.

I have a job that I know is going to take a long time to run, so I want to run
will a lower priority  than normal. UNIX: OK, no worries. NT: No way.

How often is a particular application being used? How often is it started and
how long is it run  for? How many are running at this very moment?

How many users are currently using the system? Is Joe Smith logged in?

SAMBA: An inexepensive (NOT cheap) replacement for the file and print
server functionality of NT. UNIX: Default configuration has home directories
set up. Once a user is created, their home  directory is available from
windows machines. Total time: The time to create the script (see  above)
NT: After creating the user (by hand, can't do it automatically) where you
have to explictely  specifically a "home" directory, you then have to create
the directory, and set permissions.  Total time ca. 5 minutes *per user*.
SAMBA is also a proven package. I work for German manufacturer of
industrial equipment.  We use SAMBA to make available all of the programs
for our CNC (computerized numeric  control) machines. These are the
machines that cut, drill, and turn all of the piece for the  machines that we
build. There was also an article about it in the Jan '97 issue of SCO World
despite the fact that SCO has their own product: Advanced File and Print
Server.

Licensing: Linux: free, unlimited users. NT: Pay for the OS on the clients,
pay for the server, pay for the right to access the server  from the clients.
This applies for all Microsoft products. Pay for the server and then for each
client accessing  the server.

NT 4.0, both Server and Workstation have very annoying bug. The drive
letters for network  drives get confused. We have a set of about six that are
connected automatically at start-up.  Although these do not change, other
drive letters are mysteriously added that are the *same*  as existing drive
letters. For example, R: is connected to the share \\nt3\data1. Suddenly, we
will see that F: is also connected to \\nt3\data1. This wouldn't be too much of
a problem  except for running application get confused as well. In Word 7.0
(we won't let people install  Office 97 because all of the bugs we have
found), I save a file to R:. The next time I reboot, I  loose the F: drive and
now Word can no longer find the file as it is looking for it on F:  although I
explicitely saved it to R:. This also happens with the shortcuts on the
desktop.  Suddenly, the point to drives that do not exist and as a result, the
shortcut no longer works.

In fairness, I have to say that for the inexperienced user with little real
computer knowledge  NT is much easier to administer and configure. If you
do not want to stray from what  Microsoft dictates as "necessary", you are
fine. However, learning UNIX is like learning a  foreign language. Once you
have overcome the  initial intimidation, there is a whole new  power
available to you. You can do something that other people (or other OSes)
can't.

NT security is generally better than UNIX. However, "stricter" might be a
more appropriate word than "better." It is theoretically harder to crack NT
password as they use a larger  encryption key. However, the standard attack
is still a dictionary attack and that work effectively no matter how large the
key is. The major problem with NT security is that you cannot get around it.
There were several examples above where this security mechanism has become
more of a problem than it is worth.

On our NT workstations, we configured User profiles. It helps to keep people from
causing too much trouble, but it still limits what a user can do much to much. One
of the biggest problems is the Microsoft apps. You can change the configuration
for the current session (such as adding macros, changing styles, adding buttons to
the tools bar). However, this is saved in an area  that users shouldn't have access to.
There are even entries written to the registry and we are not going to give them
permisson to do that. As a result, users either have to reconfigure everything from
scratch or forget it.

If you want ammunition, check out my article in the March BYTE. If you  live
outside of North America, you'll have to look for it on-line. This  is a brief
look at why you should consider Linux in business. There is a list of just a
few  companies that run Linux. One, SIXT Rent-a-car, runs exclusibely on
Linux. I have a book  due out from Prentice Hall shortly that goes into a lot
more details on why you should  consider Linux and what can do  to
implement it in a business.