[ LUGOS ] nameserver

jernej horvat j at aufbix.org
Mon Apr 9 17:08:04 CEST 2001

On Monday 09 April 2001 13:32, you wrote:

Za te namene imam jaz proxy DNS streznik na lastni delovni postaji (apt-get
install pdnsd).

Nenazadnje MORAJO vsaj root cache strezniki delovati....;)

http://home.t-online.de/home/Moestl/index.html

Q: There are complete and well-tested name servers around, such as the BIND.
These do also perform caching. Why should I use pdnsd?

A: pdnsd does not aim to be a complete name server implementation, such as
the BIND. It is optimized for caching, and you can only specify a small
subset of all dns record types pdnsd knows in your local "zone" definitions.
This of course reduces the code size drastically, and such the memory
footprint.
There are some features especially interesting for dialin networks, ordinary
(non-server) internet hosts and computers that are often not connected to to
their network, e.g. notebooks (I originally wrote this program for use with
my notebook).
These features are:
permanent disk cache (useful for frequent power-offs/reboots)
usually smaller memory footprint (depends on cache size) (see next question)
offline-detection prevents hangs (e.g. the typical hang on startup of some
Netscape Navigator versions if not dialled in)
better control about timeouts (also to prevent hangs)
better control over the cache  better run-time control

--
Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise, and balance.